All employees at Ideal Movers were courteous, friendly and helpful. The movers were efficient and accomplished a great deal of work in a short amount of time.
A successful move starts with a solid plan. Stay on task with the help of this step-by-step timeline and make your next move as easy as possible.
Four to Six Weeks before Move Date:
- Contact moving companies and schedule in-home estimates. Ideal Movers & Storage, Inc. provides accurate estimates that are free of charge. If you’re moving during the summer, we recommend contacting a company two months prior to the move.
- Select a mover and schedule a moving date.
- Determine whether you will be doing the packing on your own. If you’d like help with packing, discuss this option with the moving company during the in-home estimate. Packing is typically done one to two days prior to your moving date.
- Contact your insurance company to see if your possessions will be covered during the move. If your policy does not provide coverage, speak with your moving company to discuss the different options that are available to you.
- Dispose, donate or sell any of your unwanted possessions.
- Contact doctors and dentists to request a copy of your records if you will be moving out of the area.
Two to Four Weeks before Move Date:
- Fill out a change-of-address form with your local post office to notify them of your new address.
- Notify all applicable utility companies to arrange the discontinuation or transfer of services (telephone, cable, internet, electric, gas/oil, water, etc).
- Arrange for the connection of utilities in you new home.
One to Two Weeks before Move Date:
- Start packing if you’re planning to do it without the assistance of the moving company.
- Notify newspaper and magazine companies of your change of address.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawn equipment.
One to Two Days before Move Date:
- Have the moving company pack your items if you’re not planning to do it on your own.
- Set aside valuables that you’d like to have on hand during the moving process such as cash, credit cards, checkbooks, jewelry and medications.
- Defrost and dry any refrigerators and freezers that are being moved.